To protect our wellbeing and support others we should do whatever we can to avoid coming into contact with the virus and to be considerate to others. Specifically it is vital that we wash our hands and protect others by following good hygiene principles.
Making wise and kind choices is about looking after ourselves and others. We can make a big difference by supporting loved ones and showing solidarity. This is a time to really celebrate our common humanity and treat everyone with empathy and compassion.
This is likely to be a stressful time for lots of people. So the WHO also has some helpful guidance on how to cope with stress and help children cope too.
Here are some more great action ideas for ways we can make a difference:
- Set an intention - make a personal commitment to make a positive impact each day for yourself and those around you, even if it is something small.
- Look after your body - move your body each day even if indoors dancing round the living room. Load up on healthy fruit & veg to support your immune system.
- Nurture relationships - Reach out digitally by sending messages to friends; remind them of a memory or let them know something you're grateful to them for.
- Help others - make some extra food and drop a meal off on the doorstep for a friend who is unwell. And encourage friends to make wise & kind choices too.
- Look for what's good - take some time to notice the world around you and be grateful for the good things. What can you appreciate even in difficult times?
- Make the most of it. If you end up self-isolating or have events cancelled, how can you make the most of that time? eg learning a new skill.
And remember to be willng to reach out and ask for help when you need it too.
We can all make a difference in helping to reduce the impact of COVID-19 and this is vitally important for global happiness and wellbeing.
Source: Action for Happiness