Travelling with Dogs

Travelling with Dogs

Many consider pets to be a part of our family. Travelling by car with dogs has become common, unfortunately, it is common place to see cars on the roads with unrestrained dogs leaning out of the window appearing as though they may jump out at any moment. I am always concerned that the dog may come to some harm should the vehicle be forced to brake swiftly or even become involved in a collision.

So, what is the law on driving with dogs?

Read more: Travelling with Dogs

Warning about Xylitol

Ollie, a four-year-old English Springer Spaniel, ate gum containing xylitol at his home in Stretham, Cambridgeshire. He ate about 10 tabs of chewing gum containing Xylitol.

Ollie was taken to the vet very quickly as an emergency and was very lucky to survive.

Xylitol is being used in an increasing range of foods as an artificial sweetner. Xylitol can kill a dog!

Please check food labels carefully and if your dog eats food containing Xylitol seek vetinary advice.

Read more: Warning about Xylitol


Lungworm is a common problem in southern areas of England so people all over the UK should be aware of it. 

How do dogs get lungworm?

 Dogs get lungworm by eating larvae found in infected snails, slugs or frogs. They can also accidentally eat infected tiny slugs if they are on a toy or their fur. The lungworm larvae then grow inside the dog and adult lungworms move through their body to live in their heart and blood vessels. This can cause heart problems, breathing problems and pneumonia but in mild cases infection can remain unnoticed by owners. After about 28 days the worms start to produce their own larvae which can lead to serious problems. It can cause haemorrhages in the lungs, liver, intestine, eyes and spinal cord but also pretty much anywhere in the body. If left untreated, it can be fatal in severe cases.

Read more: Lungworm